December 2022 Newsletter
“It starts when you say We and know who you mean, and each day you mean one more.” -Marge Piercy
Over 60 members of the Newport, RI community gathered on November 30 to begin a conversation about Collective Action. This group, assembled by the van Beuren Charitable Foundation, included people young and grown working in education, the arts, health care, and more. They represented public institutions, government, private businesses, nonprofit organizations, and their own families – the main thread tying them together was the energy to build a better, more equitable Newport for its residents. Root Cause consultants Lucas Orwig, Consuela Greene and Colette Stanzler worked with this group to introduce Root Cause’s model for Collective Action and discuss how different stakeholder groups can come together to tackle social problems and strive for systemic change. Read more about Lucas’s reflection on this event here.
As we move through December and see 2023 around the corner, we value the moments to reflect on the work we’ve accomplished, the conversations we’ve facilitated, and the new partnerships we’ve built in 2022 that will continue into the new year.
Included in this Newsletter:
- LEARNING SERIES: Strengthening a Collective Action Backbone
- FIELD NOTE: Where can Equity Begin? Taking Steps to Build Collective Action in Rhode Island
- PUBLICATION: The Biogen Foundation STAR Initiative and Impact for Cambridge Public Schools
- STAFF SPOTLIGHT: Welcome Bre Anna Clinkscales!
- VIDEO: 2022 Root Cause Projects + Partners