Root Cause’s Approach to Performance Measurement
My work in the nonprofit sector began in data collection and reporting for a large national intermediary. At one point I was even responsible for collaborating on a national random assignment evaluation that involved programs around the country. My most important job was to help local programs understand their data requirements, meet them as effectively as possible and hopefully find use in what we were asking them to collect. For people who find their purpose and vocation in helping others, data work can feel hard, confusing, and a waste of precious time. While nonprofits large and small, schools, public agencies and foundations have vastly improved their data practices since the early 2000s, and the tools are a lot better, data collection, performance measurement and evaluation can still be burdensome and confusing.
Root Cause believes deeply in the value of effective data collection and analysis for continuous learning and improvement. I’m really proud of our approach to performance measurement and improvement because our principles and approaches are grounded in decades of practice and adaptation. Since 2004, we have helped hundreds partners and clients to:
- Develop performance measurement tools, processes, and systems.
- Evaluate programs and make recommendations for improvement.
- Use data, coaching, and technical assistance to strengthen nonprofit operations, program quality, and outcomes.
Root Cause can help clarify and simplify these practices, ensure that they are valuable to your mission, and that they are grounded in equitable approaches. Learn more about our approach to performance measurement and take a look at some of our previous projects and partners in this area below. Contact us to learn more about how Root Cause might improve your organization’s data practices.
PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT PROJECTS
Developing performance measurement tools, processes, and systems
- Framework Evaluation and Performance Measurement with HOPE National Resource Center
- Building an Aligned Performance Measurement System with W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- Max and Marian Farash Foundation Impact and Evaluation Plan
- Increasing Capacity to Provide Maternal/Child Healthcare with Centering Healthcare Institute
- Pay for Success Coaching with the MA Housing and Shelter Alliance
Using CQI and technical assistance to strengthen program quality