MANAGER, ADVISORY SERVICES
Who We Are
Root Cause is a purpose-driven consulting group that exists to enable more people to achieve lifelong success. We partner with foundations, nonprofit organizations, businesses, school districts, and public agencies to develop, implement, and measure strategies that improve people’s lives.
Root Cause focuses its work on three service themes: Collective Action; Measurement, Learning & Improvement; and Strategy. We specialize in helping partners reduce disparities based on race, class, gender, and geography so that more people thrive at every age, from a healthy birth, to a quality education, a well-paying job, and healthy and secure aging.
Root Cause is made up of passionate, smart, and collaborative people who have a diverse range of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives. Our consultants are known for an approach that is collaborative, practical, and implementation-focused. Our organizational culture is collegial, entrepreneurial, and flexible. Our small size and the dynamic nature of work – combined with the urgency for action to improve people’s lives – provide many opportunities to learn and grow professionally and to contribute to shaping our strategy, service delivery, and organizational development.
Our consulting clients are based throughout the United States, and an increasing number of projects are multi-year engagements where we work to advance systemic and sustained impact. We are currently looking to staff projects in the service areas listed above. Most projects involve multiple partners from the corporate, nonprofit, philanthropic, and government sectors. Project teams typically have two to four members. All projects have a lead consultant, and teams may also include additional senior-level consultants with complementary areas of expertise, a manager, and an associate.
Managers contribute to our clients’ success by playing an active role in all stages of client service delivery – scoping projects; keeping Root Cause and client team members on track; researching questions with no easy answers; sharing insights with government, nonprofit, and philanthropic leaders; and identifying solutions to help organizations increase their impact. Managers partner with lead consultants to discuss insights and develop recommendations, produce client-ready deliverables, help facilitate meetings, and build strong client relationships. Managers are expected to lead multiple work streams (which can include the supervision of an associate) and grow into other areas of project leadership based on their professional goals.
Managers typically come to us after working professionally for about five years and may have also completed a graduate degree. The fast-paced and entrepreneurial nature of our work creates many opportunities for a manager to learn and grow, positively affect the future direction of our clients, and contribute to the direction and success of Root Cause in meaningful ways. Through their work, managers deepen their expertise in one or more of Root Cause’s services. The small size of our firm also allows managers to set stretch goals and receive increasing responsibility, with the support and guidance of their supervisors.
What We Are Looking For
- 4-6 years of professional work experience (ideally in combination of business and non-profit settings) beyond completion of bachelor’s degree; candidates with a master’s degree combined with sufficient work experience are encouraged to apply
- Prior experience in consulting or another type of professional services organization preferred
- Demonstrated interest in the social sector and commitment to advancing equity and social justice
- Advanced project management skills
- Ability to navigate complex stakeholder communications and relationships
- Strong research, analytical, writing, and presentation skills
- Ability to understand overall questions and concepts of a client case and connect them to the day-to-day work plan (strong strategic thinker and pragmatic doer)
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects/tasks, and keen attention to detail
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative and operate with autonomy; flexible and adaptable
- Prior supervisory experience a plus
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), including experience using Excel for work plan development, data analysis, and/or financial modeling
- Experience with Salesforce, online survey tools (e.g., SurveyGizmo) and/or statistical analysis programs are a plus
- Manage multiple projects, which includes the development of project work plans, prioritization of tasks, meeting planning and scheduling, synthesis of notes for sharing with clients, follow-up communications, and organization of key project documents
- Develop and adjust project work plans and timelines as needed based on understanding stakeholders’ needs and dynamics and the evolving nature of the project
- Develop productive relationships with clients, identify and anticipate client needs and dynamics, and begin to independently manage relationships
- Conduct primary and secondary research (interviews, surveys, focus groups, benchmarking, online searches and review of literature/reports) to understand market trends, data and evidence within a given field, best practices, and client positioning and value proposition
- Develop survey tools, interview guides, and other tools to frame research, gather data and conduct analyses
- With minimal oversight, frame key research questions, lead analyses, develop relevant insights, and make concrete recommendations
- With minimal oversight, develop and finalize high-quality internal and external deliverables
- Lead effective internal meetings; begin to facilitate parts of external meetings
- Act as thought partner to lead consultants in all phases of a project lifecycle
- Participate in hiring associates, interns, and/or co-ops and supervising their work; which includes, appropriately delegating work to them, helping them manage their work loads, and providing coaching so they can successfully complete their work and have a good learning experience
- For select projects, analyze financial data from clients and build financial models to project revenue, expenses, and investment needed
- Support Root Cause sales/business development through market and prospect research, summarizing client needs or context, project planning, scope writing, and other assignments
- With oversight, lead internal work groups or take on internal assignments that help to advance Root Cause’s strategy, sales/marketing, organizational development, or operations