DIRECTOR, PARTNER RELATIONS – contract
Who We Are
Root Cause is a purpose-driven consulting group that exists to enable more people to achieve lifelong success. We partner with foundations, nonprofit organizations, businesses, school districts, and public agencies to develop, implement, and measure strategies that improve people’s lives.
Root Cause focuses its work on three service themes: Collective Action; Measurement, Learning & Improvement; and Strategy. We specialize in helping partners reduce disparities based on race, class, gender, and geography so that more people thrive at every age, from a healthy birth, to a quality education, a well-paying job, and healthy and secure aging.
Root Cause is made up of passionate, smart, and collaborative people who have a diverse range of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives. Our consultants are known for an approach that is collaborative, practical, and implementation-focused. Our organizational culture is collegial, entrepreneurial, and flexible. Our small size and the dynamic nature of work – combined with the urgency for action to improve people’s lives – provide many opportunities to learn and grow professionally and to contribute to shaping our strategy, service delivery, and organizational development.
The Director, Partner Relations will be Root Cause’s lead generator of new business opportunities in alignment with our three service areas:
- Design and advance collective action projects
- Assess and strengthen practices of measurement, learning and improvement; and
- Plan and execute strategies that enable people to succeed from one life stage to the next
Root Cause is seeking a seasoned professional who is passionate about helping to strengthen the social sector to enable more people to achieve lifelong success and is highly skilled in cultivating new business relationships. The Director, Partner Relations will be the lead ambassador for sharing our unique, customized approach to consulting with foundations, nonprofits, and public sector agencies looking to increase their impact, whether individually, or in partnership with related stakeholders.
In addition to cultivating new business prospects, the Director, Partner Relations will work with Root Cause’s leadership and senior project lead team to develop bespoke project proposals that we can pitch to organizations, foundations and systems interested in collaborative approaches to targeted social issues.
The right candidate should have extensive experience developing and cultivating client relationships in the nonprofit, philanthropic, public, or for-profit sectors. The position is ideal for a professional looking to transition into a part-time contract role, whether as a step down from a full-time position or back into a professional role after time away from a career, and looking to make a meaningful contribution to social impact work. We are seeking someone with experience in the nonprofit sector, whether in a professional capacity, through board participation or other related roles. The Director, Partner Relations must bring a strategic, entrepreneurial and empathic approach to cultivating relationships, patience and humility in learning about complex social issues, and be comfortable working with a diverse array of constituents and people.
Root Cause operates in shared work space in downtown Boston at CIC. We expect the contractor to work on-site the equivalent of 1 day/week based on a mutually agreed schedule. Remaining work can be done on-site or remotely based on preference. In-person meetings would include meetings with the CEO, Managing Director, and our lead consultants; all-team meetings; and other critical meetings related to partnership development. Our norm is to use video for calls/meetings when working remotely, and we use multiple video-calling platforms.
- Own the development of new business leads for the organization, reaching agreed upon targets for lead generation and the conversion of leads to opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with Root Cause staff to understand and internalize the organization’s consultative approach and the expertise of lead consultants.
- Work with leadership and senior project lead team to strengthen and implement the organizational strategy for developing and optimizing long-term client relationships.
- Work with senior project lead team to determine optimal strategies for passing opportunities on to them to develop further.
- Lead weekly meetings to facilitate communication across the business development team, monitor marketing and sales metrics, and decide on a course of action when needed. Oversee the production of weekly and monthly reports using Salesforce.
- Attend targeted events and conferences on behalf of Root Cause for the purpose of lead generation.
- Work with Director of Communications to develop marketing materials and processes that enhance lead generation.
- Work with leadership and senior project lead team to develop bespoke project proposals/ideas that can be pitched to targeted organizations, foundations, or systems interested in collaborative approaches to targeted social issues.
- Participate in Root Cause team meetings to learn about our people and contribute to shaping our messaging and services.
What We Are Looking For
- Extensive experience developing new business relationships and working with a team responsible for client relationships.
- Willingness to leverage professional networks – as appropriate – as a component of lead generation strategy.
- Prior work experience or involvement (e.g. through professional role or board membership) in the nonprofit sector; a baseline understanding of current trends, challenges, opportunities in the sector.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with diverse audiences.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to joinRC@rootcause.org. In your cover letter, be sure to provide information about your rates or what you would expect to be paid for the activities as described over six months, along with your availability over the next six months (i.e., available hours per week and ideal schedule of work hours).